Wednesday, December 14, 2005

14 Dec - What happened to summer

Today dawned looking more like a winter's day than a day just a week or so before the summer solstice. Heavy dark clouds and a 30 kph onshore wind. I usually don't go to the beach on such a day but I was on holiday and felt that I could use the exercise.
There were a couple of fins in bay2 but they were spending long periods below the surface. I spotted a group of about 6 which seemed to be fishing about 300 metres out on the reef. I tried to talk myself out of going out to them but I failed. Bad choice. When I got to where they had been I was alone.
The two in the bay gave me a brief pass by on my way back in. It was Chunkie and her calf but they were as restless as the water in the bay and soon went about their business. I made a couple of attempts to initiate contact but it was a fruitless exercise. Regular readers of this diary will recall the dolphin with the busted fin which I saw back in November. It appeared briefly in the bay today but didn't come close enough for me to get a closer look at the damaged fin.
The forecast is for some summer weather shortly so hopefully contact will improve.
It was about this time last year that the Ds stopped visiting bay2 regularly. One thing that I have learned over the years is that you cannot rely on last year's pattern to repeat but I have a feeling that this one will.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home